CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, September 19, 2011

Shepherd's Pie

Going with the theme of casseroles, this next post is for you "meat and potatoes" kinda folks!  I honestly can't remember ever having a traditional Shepherd's Pie, but as soon as I told Chris that I was thinking of making one, his eyes lit up. He took this hearty dish in for lunch, and when he got home I got the "That was the best Shepherd's Pie I've ever had."  ((proud moment)).  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Yields: 12 servings  Points+: 6 per serving

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef (I had 80/20 at my disposal)
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup (98% fat free), undiluted
1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 bag frozen vegetable medley (I had a lima beans, corn, carrots, green bean mixture), thawed and drained
1/2 cup 2% milk
5 medium potatoes
1 cup sour cream (light)
Salt, pepper, and parsley to taste.



Directions: 

For the potato topping, boil potatoes in a pot of water until tender. Once potatoes are tender, drain the water then mash with sour cream. Add salt and pepper to your liking. Set aside. 


In a large sauce pan, cook meat, onions, and peppers until meat is no longer pink.  Stir in milk, soup, and vegetables.  Once combined, evenly pour the mixture into a sprayed casserole dish.  Spread the mashed potatoes evenly over the mixture.



Cook uncovered at 350 degrees for a half an hour, or until heated through and potatoes are turning golden brown.  Let set 5-10 minutes before eating, this will allow the casserole to solidify a little more! 


See!? Simple as... pie!

0 comments:

Post a Comment