CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, September 26, 2011

Pumpkin Nut and Chocolate Chip Bread

 
Ok... so the name of this bread might be a mouthful, but so is this bread once you start eating it! *ba-doom,cshhh*  If you hadn't gathered, that was supposed to be the sound of a rimshot.  Over the summer I made Gina's Mango Nut Bread several times and loved it. I decided to play with the recipe a bit to make a pumpkin alternative and the outcome was a yummy bread, with a subtle pumpkin spice flavor. Obviously I substituted pumpkin in for mango, and chocolate chips in for coconut.  I love baking in the fall and having the aroma of pumpkin in the air! Enjoy!

Yields: 16 slices             PointsPlus Value: 3 Pts+ each
Ingredients:
1 cup pumpkin (canned)
1 large egg
2 tbsp melted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar (I used the Splenda alternative)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, and spices. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts. In a small bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, melted butter and egg. Once mixed thoroughly, combine with dry ingredients. Stir until just blended. Pour batter into a 9x5 loaf pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.  Cool for 10 to 15 minutes before removing from the pan. Let cool completely before slicing.




Helpful tidbit: Me being the novice I am, thought a hand-mixer would work well with this. (I love using my kitchen gadgets, so I figured, hey! why not...).  I'll tell you "why not?"... if you use a hand mixer, you end up with a ball of dough at the end of said mixer and a lack of mixing being done. Not exactly my brightest moment, but it was an easy fix. :)
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment